Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Garden Tuesday -- How Complementary!

I finally got to step out into my garden, with something other than weeds on my mind.  These last few weeks have been nearly unmanageable, and I only stoop to pick the creepy weeds when I go out to get mail, trash cans, or neighbors' ears.  Yeah, well.

The Asian basil in my backyard has yielded beautiful purple/pink blooms and tops, which I guess I didn't expect.  You may recall my friend Leanne gave me her plant when she was moving away.  I put it in the patio pot for safe keeping, and the 4" pot turned into a 2-foot bush!  Here's what happened to the it:


Big.  Real big.  Like Texas hair.  But you know what?  We don't eat a lot of fresh basil, and it really looks pretty.  (We don't eat Texas hair, either, and it looks pretty, too.)  So I'm happy.  I did trim it a little earlier in the summer, but the flowers look better since we don't eat it.  Smells great, too. 
Here are the pinky flowers growing on it.  Under many of the leaves are baby pink blossoms ready to bloom:



These are oh, so cute, and I am enchanted by them.  I can't wait till they're all blooming, if that happens.

Still haven't found a recipe calling for Asian basil, but I used some like regular basil, in a salad, and it was okay.  It's just not my favorite flavor.

Next year's patio plants could include oregano to go with the rosemary.  (Recall that the oregano seeds were terminated by Peter Cottontail earlier in the season.)  I may even get a strawberry pot.

Share your garden pics and enjoy the others at  Garden Tuesday, and Garden Party and Bloomin' Tuesday.

7 comments:

  1. I believe I read an recipe someone for a pudding with Asian basil...wish I could tell you where! Try google maybe :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty basil. I've planted it before and never had your luck. Rosemary is my favorite herb and basil is next. I'm visiting from Garden Tuesday. Hope you have a wonderful day.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa @ My Omaha GardenAugust 30, 2011 at 10:29 AM

    Pudding? Seriously? I will HAVE to find that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I'll be interested to hear how the taste differs from old regular basil. Glad to find another Nebraska blogger!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty purple flowers! I wouldn't want to cut them either. If Asian Basil is anything like Thai basil...it is wonderful in curry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great in a pot. Nice blooms. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa @ My Omaha GardenSeptember 1, 2011 at 5:55 AM

    Thanks, gals! I wish my veg pots did as well as the herbs. The rosemary in the pic is small b/c I use it so much. Should be 103 heat index today, but over the weekend I plan to clean out the SFG pots and redo those. I want to see what happens to the basil as fall hits full on.

    ReplyDelete